Thursday, May 08, 2008





"We can't go on Mr. C..." Richard and Steven were exhausted; they were at mile 42 of the 50-mile Pedal for Promise cycling event. Conditions were tough; there was a good head wind with a bit of a chill. They were on the roughest stretch of road; it had just been scraped for an upcoming resurfacing, leaving it uneven and loose with gravel. It was nearly 2:15 in the afternoon, and the Trekkers had been pedaling since 8 o'clock in the morning.


"Can't we put our bikes on the truck?" They were so close - only about seven miles from the bridge into Ocean City, our final destination. I so wanted them to finish. Most of all, I wanted them to have that feeling of success after a major accomplishment. I told them at this point everyone felt like they did - tired, spent and salivating at the thought of juicy burgers and hot dogs grilling at the landing for them. Couldn't they just hold on? I knew they had already biked much further than they thought they could, yet I knew it would be sweeter if they could endure just a little longer.


I am happy to report that Richard & Steven did in fact persevere! They eventually rode through the finish, completely exhausted. Their faces were covered in sweat and dust; and as they dismounted their bikes, you could tell their legs felt like jello. But nonetheless, this was the moment I was waiting for...to see their faces light up with beaming, radiant smiles and to feel their new-found energy. It was infectious. I know what these victories mean to my Trekkers...it's the reason we ride!


Thanks to all our riders and supporters,


Mr. C